07 May 2014

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I'd lived most of my busy life happily listening to classical music, doing my work as a scientist, running, climbing, tramping, yachting and generally enjoying the outdoors. I did several yachting journeys crewing for my climbing mate, Jim Wilson on his yacht, Karoro. On one of these passages, when returning from Tonga Jim put on the music from Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'. I was quite taken with the music and lyrics so decided to get the CD when I returned to NZ.

I went into the record shop and asked the man, "Have you any CDs by Pink Floyd?"

"Yes," he replied.

"You wouldn't have a copy of Dark Side of the Moon?" I queried.

He did and after I got over the shock of the price I said I'd like to buy a copy. He proffered that it was a very popular album. As he was attending to the sale he ventured ...

"Reliving our youth are we, Sir".

"No," I replied, "I've just heard of this group."  All this at the age of 60 and 24 years after the release of the album.

The look on the man's face said it all as he faltered and stumbled through the rest of the wrapping and transaction.

I may have given the sales attendant one of the memorable vignettes of his life, but Pink Floyd has given me one of the great gifts of my life. I've since heard that this album is considered by some to be the greatest album ever released. Classical!

Cover Image from "Dark Side of the Moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment